ORGANIZATION SUMMARY: T.R.U.S.T. South LA is a membership based non-profit community land trust focused on: the production and preservation of affordable housing and the stewardship of community-controlled land; building values-driven community development; building awareness and fostering community leadership on issues of housing, transportation, sustainability and recreation; and creating programs, collaborations and initiatives that build community and economic opportunity for low-income residents within and beyond our project boundaries. https://trustsouthla.org/
About ERAP: Under Senate Bill 91 (SB-91), the State of California will provide up to $2.6 billion in emergency rental assistance to California households and landlords impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible households and landlords may receive assistance with arrears and/or prospective rent and utility bills. T.R.U.S.T South LA is leading a group of community partners to assist tenants and landlords access these emergency funds. See https://housingiskey.com for more about the state program.
DESCRIPTION and SCOPE OF WORK:
- Help provide translation and language assistance to Spanish speaking tenants and landlords who are accessing the ERAP portal.
- Staff in-person curbside document drop-off services for tenants and landlords trying to access the ERAP portal or who have questions or problems with their rent or utility assistance application at T.R.U.S.T South LA’s office.
- Upload documents to the ERAP portal in a timely manner to ensure prompt processing of rent and utility assistance applications.
- Assist with outreach to target populations to direct residents and landlords to the ERAP application to apply for assistance; including but not limited to pop-events following covid-safe protocols.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE: The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working directly with members of the public, preferably with a housing or social services provider.
- Ability to assist members of public with sensitive personal and financial topics compassionately, accurately and confidentially.
- Fluency in Spanish and English
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Strong verbal communication skills and evidence of clear writing ability.
- Familiarity with completing online forms, including scanning and uploading of paper documents.
- Strong customer service skills, with the ability to work across cultures, personalities, and aptitudes.
- The ability to work independently.
- Attitude of resourcefulness and taking initiative for problem solving.
- The ability to work together with T.R.U.S.T South LA staff and other ERAP partner organizations.
- Vehicle not required but a current CA driver’s license and clean DMV report is highly desired.
The position reports to the T.R.U.S.T South LA’s ERAP Manager and will also collaborate with ERAP partners at other nonprofit and ally organizations providing similar services.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: As an organization committed to community led solutions to housing justice and racial equality, T.R.U.S.T. South LA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, along with any and all of other characteristics that make us all unique. We help put this commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in practice through professional training, flexible work hours, benefits, and support for a healthy work-life-family balance.